View Single Post
Old April 26, 2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Benzene

Features for failure

I'd be glad to be able to pinpoint features that cause rounds to malfunction in semi-auto pistols. Obviously, a primer seated too deeply could cause a light strike. But what about overall cartridge length, bullet shape, irregularities in case walls, etc. that could/do affect how the round chambers?

I'm becoming more skeptical about semi-autos (compared to revolvers) for self defense. I find myself more inclined to use my Taurus 608 (8 rounds of .357 magnum) as my "1911", but the thing is heavy.

If I have a good enough knowledge of the physics of the functioning of semi-autos, I might be more comfortable carrying any of my several semi-autos. Purely on the basis of trial-and-error, I often use my PT145 Mill Pro loaded with Winchester 230 grains HP. I don't find it logical to assume that, because 100s of rounds of a particular brand of ammo functioned well, the next round will also do so. Highly probable, yes, but certainly not scientifically sound.

The views of our experts here would be very much appreciated. I like the terms "resident experts" and "gurus".

Page generated in 0.03375 seconds with 8 queries