View Single Post
Old February 1, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
overhead

9mm Sticking in Wolf barrel

Hi, I am hoping some more experienced reloaders can help me with an issue. For the first time last week I reloaded 9mm. I have reloaded 40's and 223's for a while but I would still consider myself a novice. This was my first attempt with the 9. I never really considered reloading 9 as they were pretty cheap and available, but, now not so much. A friend started reloading and found he did not like it, he had the dies, some new brass and bullets that I bought from him fairly cheap.

I am not sure how much this matters, but, I used 6.1 grains of Herco, the bullets are Sierra 125 grain FMJ's and the cases are new Winchester. My first mistake was loading 50 without testing a couple out first, but I learned my lesson. I do not have a chamber gauge or a go/no to gauge for 9mm so I just used the barrel off my Browning Hi-power. All the rounds went in fine. I was going to take my Glock 22 with a Wolf 9mm conversion barrel to shoot some in the mountains this weekend so I decided to check to make sure the cartridges were going to chamber.

The first round chambered, but heck if I could get it to eject. So here we have my second mistake, instead of removing the barrel and verifying the cartridge would fit, I instead just stuck a couple in the mag and cycled the slide. I knew the Wolf chambers were tight, but I did not expect this. Anyway, after several rather nervous minutes I was able to use a small screw driver to pry the ejector off the rim and was able to get the slide back and cartridge out. I checked the width of the case and it was well within spec. I then checked the length and discovered it was 1.163, the others I loaded were as well. My manual lists the min. OAL for the 125 grain FMJ to be 1.150. My guess is the cartridge is too long, even though I see a max for 9mm being listed as 1.169. Does that sound like the problem?

To address this problem should I just adjust the bullet seating die and adjust the depth of the bullets as loaded now, or, should I remove the bullet and start all over? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Page generated in 0.04458 seconds with 8 queries