View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 09:50 AM   #20
Picher

The majority of pump rifle sales have been in Pennsylvania because they don't (or didn't) allow semi-autos for hunting. If it wasn't for PA, we probably wouldn't have the option because there wouldn't be enough sold.

Often, pump shotgun shooters buy them because of the muscle (and head) memory. I'm a bolt-action shooter and had some trouble using pump rifles because the right hand wants to look for a bolt.

Pump rifles are more accurate than semi-autos, it's easier to clear jams, and like some semi's, don't change POI due to wooden stocks warping like some bolt guns. They can generally chamber a round more quietly than most bolt guns and if done slowly, more surely locked up. (I was always a bit nervous that a 7400 wasn't fully locked up when operated quietly.)

The 7400 is (or was) chambered for the .30-06, .270 Win, and .308 Win; some of the more powerful and flatter shooting deer cartridges.

That said, I've never owned a centerfire pump gun (though once had a .22LR pump), but have sighted-in many and they all have shot very well.

Page generated in 0.04353 seconds with 8 queries