View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #38
Bongo Boy

Yes, there are quite a few places to go for basic information on hand loading, including several reloading manuals from Speer, Lyman, Hornaday and so on. Most folks will recommend getting a manual as the right place to start, but I'd start at places such as handloads.com and google 'ultimate handloader' or something like that to find a site devoted to reloading. There are a lot of youtube vids out there too, but of course quality ranges. I haven't tried it, but if you have something like Apple TV or other similar service, I'm sure there are a number of good podcasts.

You can start out with one press, invest very little money and see if it's something you want to do, etc. Lots of folks will recommend their favorite 'starter' press--and good presses such as the Lee Classic Turret are available for around $100. I started that way, and loaded 10,000 rds of the ammo I showed above with relative ease and speed, and very few issues. You can think of it like learning a musical instrument--start slow and get every note right and well-articulated. Speed will come on its own. The difference of course is that, in music, sloppy can sound real good. Here, sloppy seldom sounds good.

Another alternative is to start by looking at how much you spend on ammo and firearms, and consider how long it will take you to break even. How much you save is driven largely by whether or not you shoot cast bullets--which is where the real savings is IMO. With the stock Glock barrels, common legend has it cast bullets aren't a good idea and I believe they are specifically not recommended by Glock. I and many others believe this is somewhat a crock of horse hooey, but aftermarket conventional rifling barrels are available that make that recommendation go away.

There's an added expense to casting, and added time and learning involved. If you like the hobby, getting to the range isn't easy, and you want to learn about casting and saving money, then it's a great way to expand the hobby at extremely low additional cost.

Anyway, after about a year of handloading I bought a progressive press, but I kept track of all my expenditures (for everything related to loading), and I believe with the casting stuff and bullet sizer/luber, I spent about $700. In 2-3 weeks of casual handloading, I broke even over the cost of the same quantity of ammo.

As many folks put it, forgo the purchase of one or two handguns and buy handloading setup instead, and then you'll actually be able to shoot the guns you already own. That's one perspective (which I happen to agree with).

My recommendation, even if you don't want to commit to the significant outlay of a full progressive press with auto indexing (every cycle of the press arm completes five steps of the process, and a live cartridge drops out of the press), you should still consider a press that has a 4- or 5-stage turret, rather than a single-stage press. For shooting auto pistols, you need to produce a decent quantity of ammo, and a single-stage heavy duty press is really more suited for precision loading of individual rifle cartridges. It just isn't practical if you want 4 boxes of ammo loaded in your spare 45 minutes.

Finally, you need to build or buy a solid, heavy duty bench. Again, google 'reloading bench setup' and you find hundreds of photos of what other folks have done with what they have available. The process requires order, discipline, organization, focus and attention to detail. It's brain dead simple, but no place for distraction, clutter or sloppiness.

Do it!

Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries