View Single Post
Old December 9, 1999, 10:18 PM   #4
Espresso

An interesting question. With my daughter being only three, it's not a question which has crossed my mind untill now.

I have studied the martial arts for several years now. Not the competitive aspects, but rather the practical fighting techniques. In my classes I have observed the wee folk train as well. Most of these children are aware that their skills allow them to seriously injure someone. But the fact is these same kids typically avoid conflict. Probably due to their high self-esteem and desire not to injure their clasmates.

I personally view my skills as nothing more than a defensive tool. I mean no disrespect to those martial art students who incorporate the arts as part of a holistic lifestyle. To me it's just another tool like my Benchmade or Colt.

In response to you question, I intend to decipline my daughter when she is mature enough. She will learn there may be times when defensive deadly force is unavoidable. Yes, I do intend to teach her as well as make instruction available to her an array of defensive knowledge including killing. This is of course assuming she is mature to handle this knowledge.

As her father it my responsibility to model the proper lifestyle, idiology and moral convictions. I seriously attempt to live by what I teach her. If killing by me is justified in self defense then why should it not be for my daughter? A self-defense response up to and including killing when unavoidable in preserving one's life is not immoral. Indeed it is a self-evident and universal truth.

On the surface, the prospect of instructing our youth in killing seems chilling and counter to most parent's notion that they are to be protected and insulated from all evil. However, to insulate them in this manner is to assure that they will be nurtured into sheep, ripe for plucking. Hardly an intended consequence. One thing that should be incorperated in their moral upbringing is a healthy respect for all life wheather it be a harvested animal or a psychopathic killer.

The key, I believe, goes beyond basic instruction of right from wrong. The key to maintaining their innocence and youth lies in instilling personal responsibility. When an individual's moral compass includes the notion and understanding that every individual is to be held responsible for his or her actions, any approprite response to an agressor is morally correct. To use your example of a high school student killing to defend his life or perhaps the life of another. The defender should not feel guilt or remorse for a morally approprite response. The fight was initiated by another.

These are my opinions. I welcome any serious dicussion.

Espresso

Page generated in 0.02759 seconds with 8 queries