View Single Post
Old July 20, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
kiwi56

Suppressors

I shoot a 22-250AI but have never really considered it a suitable deer cartridge, don't get me wrong I know guys who have shot deer with a 223 but to put it quite simply there are far better cartridges out there to get the job done. Over here our short shots on deer are about 100 meters and long shots can be close to 500 meters the long shots are getting a little too long for even a 22-250. In those situations I use either my 25-06AI or my 30-06AI.
Cartridges like the 22-250 and the 243 and for that matter most mid to high power rifle cartridges can have the muzzle blast reduced but you cannot eliminate the sonic crack of the bullet going through the sound barrier.
The only way to effectively quieten these weapons is to come up with a cartridge like the whisper cartridge where you have a small capacity case punching out a very long heavy bullet at a velocity close to or better still just under the sound barrier.
A friend, against my advice decided to buy a suppressor for his 270. It was not a good choice of caliber to try and quieten as the suppressor didn't really seem to make much difference to the noise level at all. It was just a plain waste of money as it now sits in his basement gathering dust.
The trouble was he expected Hollywood quiet out of it and that was never going to happen. I would estimate that his suppressor may have dropped the noise level down to that of a normal 22-250 or 243 round being fired.

Last edited by kiwi56; July 22, 2009 at 01:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.02584 seconds with 8 queries