View Single Post
Old February 5, 2012, 03:56 PM   #18
thedaddycat

Thanks to all for their input, it is appreciated. The pin is there on the end of the length gauge, it's just hard to see in the pic. Here is a better one:

I do have a couple of reloading manuals, but they are also at my friend's house as I gave him about everything I had that had anything to do with reloading. I did look online and the case trim length for the .30-06 is listed on the Barnes Bullets site as 2.484". I checked a couple dozen of my trimmed cases and they come out at 2.483" +/- .001 which seems pretty close to spot on. We have dies for the .30-06 along with 6.5X55 and 7mm Mauser, among others. When he gets back we will get together and actually load some ammo.
I will be getting Lee collett neck sizing dies for the bolt action chamberings I shoot.

Jim, all those primers are just from what I've done in the last couple of weeks. Lots of decapping practice for sure. Like anything else, you have to learn to walk before you can run. At this point I am getting a lot of practice on case prep which is fine with me. Maybe I should have had a different order of operations, but I don't think there will be any adverse impact from what I have done so far. In the future I will probably do case prep as follows:

Decap brass, clean cases, size brass appropriately (FL or neck, depending on which rifle it is for), trim/chamfer/deburr, and maybe polish as a last step. Does that sound right to you?

Oneoldsap, your commitment to and concern for safety is commendable.

Page generated in 0.03180 seconds with 8 queries