View Single Post
Old May 20, 2012, 09:18 PM   #1
tkglazie

1963 Winchester Model 94 .32 Special - what should I expect from it?

Hi all,

First off- I am not a great shot. You will not hear me bragging about my great groups or offhand one-shot kills. What I am is a huge fan of shooting, reloading and great American guns.

I have a 1963 Winchester Model 94 .32 Special that my dad handed down to me. It has under 100 shots through the barrel- less than 10 shots put through it in the 60s, about 30 in the 90s and another 40 this year.

As for why I am OK shooting it and not mothballing it, A- I like shooting any gun I own, and B - this gun is in excellent shape but the wood finish is not perfect (neither my dad nor I knew back in the day that gun oil was bad for a stock).

I have a good, inexpensive no holes-drilled side-mount scope mount (Wideview model WSM-94, great company, great owner/staff, great product), along with a cheap but clear NcStar 3x-9x 40mm scope. As a rifle shooter, I have only ever shot this "real" rifle. I have shot many .22s.

I want to do three things- become a better shooter and a better reloader, and use this gun (and an old JC Higgins 101.13, Stevens model 86-7, 24" barrel .22 LR to do it.

My question for those that have or have used similar guns is, how good is good? What kind of accuracy and consistency should I expect from the bench at 100 yards from a gun like this- now, and as my skills improve? I have a supply of factory ammo (Remington 170 gr) and reloading supplies on hand (Win brass, Fen Primers, H4895 powder and many many Hornady Interlock FP 170 gr bullets).

Thanks

Last edited by tkglazie; May 20, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.02634 seconds with 8 queries