View Single Post
Old June 18, 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
ZoneIII

I realize this is an old thread but I was curious about this topic too and I suspect that others are as well. It makes sense that Florida would honor its own non-resident CCW permits but I would check with Florida on this rather than depending on someone's opinion here. If you are wrong and get caught with an illegal concealed weapon in Florida, it won't do you much good to tell the judge that you got your information from this forum.

I am an Illinois resident and I have a non-resident Florida CCW permit. (Illinois has NO concealed carry.) The original question is valid. Florida CCW rules (on their CCW webpage) state that they do not honor permits issued to non-residents of the issuing state. Ironically, that explicitly means that they don't honor non-resident CCW permits that they issue themselves. (They probably just need to clarify that. They probably just worded it wrong.) However, it makes little sense that they wouldn't honor their own non-resident permits because the only purpose of those permits would then be to allow non-resident Florida CCW holders to carry concealed in other states. In other words, they would provide an opportunity for people who's states don't issue CCW permits to carry concealed weapons in other states but not Florida. That makes no sense and would be hypocritical. I'm sure they don't mean that but that's what the rules say so be careful and check it out.

If someone has any "official" information to clarify this, I would appreciate a link to it. But Florida's publishedr rules mean literally what they say, your non-resident Florida CCW permit would not be valid in Florida - which would be ironic, to put it mildly. Dewhitewolf is almost certainly correct but he doesn't say if he is basing his comment on the actual law as it is written or just his own intepretation of the rules (which is probably correct). If he has a link to the actual text of the applicable laws, I would sure appreciate it if he posted it here. This is not an issue where one should rely on the opinions of helpful people in a forum such as this. You need facts. This needs clarification.

Last edited by ZoneIII; June 18, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Page generated in 0.02497 seconds with 8 queries