View Single Post
Old November 28, 2012, 07:26 AM   #9
Bart B.

I just checked out that web site's section on ammunition. Here's their take on powder for reloading:
Quote:
Hand loading adds another set of variables however; a few myths can be cleared up here. The first is that a change in powder brand will dramatically alter groups, this is simply not true. If the rifle shoots 3” groups with H4831 powder at 60,000psi, it will shoot 3” groups with H4350 at 60,000psi.
Really?

I'm curious as to how they're squelching other myths. But first, I gotta find out what they consider myths.

Then I checked out the site's info on epoxy bedding. I fell out of my chair after reading the following:
Quote:
A piece of advice, bedding jobs can sometimes go wrong, whether the job was performed slapdash or performed carefully. Minute points of stress within the bedding surfaces have a dramatic affect on accuracy. In some cases, the person who performed the operation may have used G-clamps to set the barreled action up in the resin. The result is that the action becomes unnaturally stressed when screwed down. This is not an un-common problem. A more insidious problem occurs with parallel walled actions including the Howa/Weatherby, Winchester Model 70 and Sako actions. If the bedding has a 100% fit against the action sidewalls, these rifles will either double group or string laterally. If the fit is too loose, the results are the same. This puts a lot of pressure on the gunsmith although the use of Latex release agents such as Brownells release agent provides the perfect relief for parallel walled actions.
No wonder all those folks epoxy bedding flat sidewall actions to full contact with the bedding since the early 1960's for their competition rifles have lateral shot stringing of up to 1/16 MOA at 100 yards range or 1/4 MOA at 1000 yards. We've always thought that sideways stringing was caused by those slightly imperfect bullets we always get and subtle cross winds we can't see. If we put clearance on the receiver sides, then I guess we'll finally get 0 MOA horizontal shot stringing.

What about the stresses on the bottom of our receivers when the barreled action whips vertically changing the force that area puts on the epoxy? Those slightly unbalanced bullets and subtle differences in air density must not be the cause of equal amounts of vertical shot stringing we've believed for decades. Do we have to make clearance all over the receiver bottoms now and free float the whole receiver in the stock to get rid of vertical stringing? How do we affix a totally free floating barreled action to the stock?

No, I'm not sorry I pointed this out. Form your own opinions.

Last edited by Bart B.; November 28, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.02816 seconds with 8 queries