View Single Post
Old November 11, 2010, 07:57 AM   #9
hornady

TX
Bullet to barrel fit is the key to everything in cast bullets, and the only way to know what that is, would be to slug the barrel, and this sounds harder than it is.
You will find hundreds of how to slug a barrel on the net.
Lee states with their molds (may not need sized), but there are many factors that play in to this. Alloy will change the as cast diameter of a bullet. The more pure lead the smaller the bullet. Add Tin and the as cast diameter increases. But the actual bore diameter is also a major factor in determining the right size die.
In the Lyman Cast bullet book with most Lyman molds they recommend a mix that is called a Lyman #2. On the plus side clip on W/W are very close to the Lyman #2.
But as I said in an earlier post, if you are not shooting a lot, and don’t mind cleaning some lead out of the barrel you may get away with just cast, lube and load.
One thing I should warn you of that you might already know. Lead build up in the Barrel not only messes up accuracy, but also increases presser and can be Dangerous. I am not trying to scare you off from casting; it saves you money and adds a whole new aspect to shooting. But just like reloading if done properly it is very safe, if not it can be a bad day in the neighborhood.

Page generated in 0.03745 seconds with 8 queries