View Single Post
Old March 3, 2014, 10:17 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, neither sheriffs nor POTUS swear to uphold "the laws".

The oath of office for a sheriff is usually very similar to:

I,(STATE YOUR NAME________) , do solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of ______, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties the office of the ______ County Sheriff’s Department to the best of my skill and judgment, SO HELP ME GOD.

or

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution of the United States, and the constitution of the State of ________, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of....

The POTUS oath is:
“I, (name)_______, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

In other words, they swear to uphold the Constitution(s) and to do so with their best skill, judgment, faithfulness, ability, etc. They do not swear to uphold laws and a strong argument can be made that defending the Constitution(s) may require NOT upholding some laws.

Page generated in 0.02956 seconds with 8 queries