View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 12:54 AM   #41
j3ffr0

Quote:
My thought is this....should something ever come up, chances are I am going to be a little groggy, my hand eye coordination may not be 100% and chances are its going to be dark.
Actually the chances are if something ever really comes up most everyone's hand eye coordination is going to be far, far less than 100%. Some folks really think that when they see a guy who might be reaching for something they are really going not be looking at the guy at all anymore -- they are instead going to be looking at their trusty irons and never need to take a peek again to see what the bad man pulled out of his pocket or if he's really a threat. Really? Who's going to shoot a guy who you thought might have a gun, but you never actually saw it? Anyone with a decent head and instincts will take a another good long peek before shooting. Once you take that peek you are going to have to refocus on your irons... probably in dim light, when your hand/eye coordination is total crap because you are experiencing a bigger adrenaline dump than you've ever imagined in your life. Why do you guys think hit rates in self defense shootings are what they are given the close ranges that the shootings take place at? It is because of the factors above.

At least the laser shortens the aiming process and lets us keep our eyes where they need to be in a tactical situation -- on the threat. Some believe that training can override millions of years of evolutionary instincts that are built into us humans. When we are threatened we tend to instinctively focus on the threat (seems reasonable doesn't it).

I'm not among those who think that attempting to acquire an iron sight picture and going against my natural born instinct to focus on a threat that would be severe enough to cause me to draw a gun in the first place is a good idea. I feel like if I was faced with such a terrible threat, I'd need to see every detail of what's threatening me right up until, during, and after every pull of the trigger. Lasers and rectile type sights are the only devices that let a person do that.

We are all handicapped. We can't focus on the front sight post and make out all the details of what a threat may be doing at the same time. This handicapped person is taking a crutch.

Page generated in 0.02579 seconds with 8 queries