Thread: Video Game Ammo
View Single Post
Old September 13, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
The reserved symbol after HALO appears to credit either the game or the font, I'm a bit foggy on my copyright law but I assume as long as credit is given, permission might not be necessary.
Quote:
Courts have ruled that the text font is as much a part of a copyright as words and images when used as part of a cohesive package.
The issue involves trademark and law, not copyright. The ® symbol is used to indicate a registered trademark.* The HALO-POINT mark for ammunition is not registered by Liberty Ammunition, but an application is pending in the USPTO.

US law provides that: "Any person who, on or in connection with any goods or services, or any container for goods, uses in commerce any word, term, name, symbol, or device, or any combination thereof, or any false designation of origin, false or misleading description of fact, or false or misleading representation of fact, which . . . is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive as to the affiliation, connection, or association of such person with another person, or as to the origin, sponsorship, or approval of his or her goods, services, or commercial activities by another person, . . . shall be liable in a civil action by any person who believes that he or she is or is likely to be damaged by such act."

"Person" includes any legal entity.

I am not stating any legal opinion on the matter, just clarifying the law.

*The ™ symbol can be used to designate common law right in an unregistered trademark.

Page generated in 0.03600 seconds with 8 queries