Thread: DIY Eezox Wipes
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1
justinicus

DIY Eezox Wipes

So, I'm a recent convert to Eezox for my rust-proofing needs. I bought into all the tests posted around the intertubes, and went ahead and purchased an 18oz spray can. I've been using it on everything but my morning bagel, and so far, I'm happy as a clam on goofballs.

However, every now and then, when I'm out and about, I see something else I want to Eezox up. Some examples: higher-grade pocket knives (the type of "stainless" that holds an edge and WILL rust), various bits on the car, tools, hinges in humid environments, and so on. And I think, you know what would be super-convenient? An Eezox wipe, like those RemOil wipes, silicone cloths, etc. But they don't make 'em! So I dug a little more, and it looks like the chemistry of Eezox won't get along too well with most plastics, even HDPE, my go-to for re-bottling solvents. It seems that if you want to re-package Eezox, it needs to be in stainless steel or possibly glass. Or rather per the MSDS, Eezox contains tricholoroethylene which "they" only recommend you store in stainless. No mention of glass, so I assume it's safe, but that guess is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I've been using the same cotton rag for a while to apply the stuff, and it seems okay so far. The solvents evaporate of course, but there seems to be a protective residue left behind that can still be applied with some degree of success. So it seems to me that I could take something like an Altoids tin, try to find some way to make it air-tight (without the use of plastic), and fill it with soaked patches. Even if the solvents go away eventually, I'm hoping it will still work as a corrosion inhibitor (far and away my primary goal).

Can anyone tell me if I'm an idiot? Wait, don't answer that... can anyone tell me if this idea is idiotic?

Page generated in 0.03551 seconds with 8 queries