View Single Post
Old September 14, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
raisitup

Looks to me like he simply exploited a "loophole", in that he skated around what is probably the "legislative intent" of 790.06(2)(h) which contains the ways in which one can "demonstrate confidence with a firearm". As far as I can tell his "online course" falls under #3:

"Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of State;"

I looked at the MD Firearm Safety Training Site and it simply calls the online video (which I could not get to start up) its "Firearms Safety Training course". It's indeed a 30 minute video, and completion of the video entitles the viewer to a nice certificate of completion.

Clearly Florida didn't have this "training course" in mind. Hell, even at the bottom of the Maryland training page it states:

"Keep in mind, successful completion of the Firearms Safety Training course is only one of the requirements that must be satisfied before a Maryland resident can legally buy, rent, or otherwise possess a handgun or regulated firearm in Maryland."

I'm not familiar with Maryland law but it appears this 30 minute video is just the tip of the iceberg to even HANDLE a handgun, let alone carry one concealed.

In Maryland's eyes this is only part of the full-on gun training regimen, but because they called the video what they did, and issued a certificate for watching (i.e. completing) it, it turned into something different when translated to Florida's "language".

I'm sure someone else figured this out and tipped the author to it. Did he follow the letter of the law? Seems so. Did he follow the spirit? Not by a long shot.

Ryan

Page generated in 0.02611 seconds with 8 queries