View Single Post
Old August 21, 2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Bill Akins

Quote:
Chris B wrote:
Completely needless innovation for an obsolete weapon?
All of these things make me say : give it your all! I'd love to see it
You grasp it exactly Chris .
But my conceptualizing of a viable concept is one thing. Having the time to make it is another. I've got several other projects in the works that take priority over it right now. Perhaps later on though. If I ever build a black powder weapon from scratch, this would be the one. And it would be a hoot just for fun.

Actually a proof of concept smaller version could be built without using the harmonica block using a welded and stretched out '58 Remy receiver for a long enough receiver for the cylinder to move back and forth within, utilizing a zig zag slotted muzzleloading cylinder and recoil spring, with the bolt modified by cutting its legs off so that it permanently tensioned upward but could be pushed down on inserting the cylinder then the bolt lug would pop into the zig zag slots. The face of the hammer would have to be elongated to reach the more forward nipples but except for cutting off the bolt legs, and omitting the cylinder pawl, the rest of the trigger to hammer lockwork could remain the same. A recoil/blowback operated semi-auto muzzleloading revolver. What a hoot.

(Correction post....post Lol. I made a mistake. The above paragraph describes a full auto muzzleloading revolver that may not work because of hammer follow against the cylinder as it goes forward. One other addition to the lockwork would have to be done in order for it to be semi-auto and for that matter full auto as well. If I left it as I described in the paragraph above, as you held the trigger the hammer would not catch and would follow the cylinder forward. Possibly not having enough inertia to pop the cap, or if it did, it would go full auto.....maybe.

In order to have it be semi-auto a disconnector would have to be built in to catch the hammer until you released the trigger. Not a problem. A slot milled in the bottom of the frame would house a piece that as the cylinder went forward into battery, it would cause the hammer to catch and not be released until you released the trigger and then functioned it again. Now if you wanted it to be full auto, it might perhaps need the disconnector too. So that instead of the hammer following the cylinder forward and maybe not having enough inertia to pop the cap, the hammer was held back until the cylinder was fully forward pressing against and causing the disconnector to trip allowing the hammer to fall. So either as a semi-auto, or as a full auto muzzleloader, a disconnector would probably be necessary as I rethink my design.)

Then instead of the upper receiver recoiling back with the cylinder like on the original Webley Fosbery, just the cylinder would recoil/blowback compressing a recoil spring within a longer receiver. Of course that would only be a proof of concept for a revolver version, not the harmonica block version which doubtless would require larger volume chambers for enough power to recoil back the heavier aluminum with steel chamber sleeves harmonica block.

Make a heck of a "Steampunk" Jules Vernian type weapon. Now if only Tredegar iron works had thought of that back in the day things might have turned out differently . But then they didn't have non fouling pyrodex.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 22, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Page generated in 0.03759 seconds with 8 queries