View Single Post
Old June 28, 2011, 12:38 AM   #19
Ideal Tool

Hello again, deepcore. There is another way..though you must have a powder measure that is absolutly accurate and repeatable. The Bench-rest boys have been doing it for ages. I like a snowy or rainy day for this..starting below starting loads, I try to set measure on an even number & write it down on 4X5 card, I throw 10 charges in scale pan & weigh..divide by 10..this is 1st. charge setting. repeat up thru working loads...but NOT near max. loads! If there is any doubt, throw 10 charges again to verify. This will give you a charge table for THAT lot of powder. Might be a good idea to note humidity when you do this. Also before going out to range..might be wise to verify charge weights on scale. I used this method when working up loads for a .22 Hornet. Brought sized & primed brass & only powder charged & seated bullet with Wilson chamber type tool..I have the micrometer top, & was able to seat bullets with palm of hand. Saved a bunch of time!
Another time I used this is when I was working up loads for a .25-20 S.S. Stevens 49. Was breech-seating bullet with plugged case using action to cam bullet into leade. Had limited cases..primed by hand & dropped charge..I did look into each case to verify charge height. The only drawback to this is you get alot of onlookers, and questions from folks who never saw this done before.

Page generated in 0.03627 seconds with 8 queries