View Single Post
Old November 18, 2005, 12:03 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Your spelling of licencing and calibre lead me to believe that you may be speaking of a state in Australia, not the U.S.

jrfoxx is most likely correct. They're calling it illegal because it can chamber a cartridge larger than permitted by law. The only recourse you may have is to attempt to convince them to pay attention to the actual diameter of the bullet rather than the name of the caliber (sorry, calibre ).

Quote:
The basic dimensions of the new .460 Magnum are as follows: bullet diameter .454", rim diameter .520", case diameter .478", overall case length 1.800", cartridge overall length (COL) 2.300". The official SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) is 65,000 psi!
Source:http://www.chuckhawks.com/460_SW_Mag.htm

IIRC, the .454 Casull also has a bullet diamter of .454" while the .45 Colt has a bullet diameter of .452". Are firearms chambered in these calibres allowed in your state? If so, you have a solid case to get them to accept it since the .460 S&W Mag. is really just a stretched out .454 Casull (which itself is just a stretched out .45 Colt).

Hope this information is accurate (someone will undoubtedly correct me if not) and that it helps.

-Dave

P.S. This is really a legal question, so I'll move this thread to our Legal & Political section.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10

Page generated in 0.02399 seconds with 8 queries