View Single Post
Old April 7, 2010, 09:53 PM   #15
jmorris

I would suggest against an easy out for a fastener this small as the wall thickness is so thin you will likely expand it against the ID of the hole then break off the extractor. Once you do this, it's game over. See the easy out is two points harder than supermans head and nothing short of an EDM or metal disintegrater will remove it.
The technique I use is using a TIG welder place a dab of weld on top of the set screw then place a nut on the bead and tac the nut to that. At this point you have added enough heat to the screw to expand it in the threads and loosen any loctite, apply just a little torque to the nut, as it cools it will begin to turn when it hits the right temperature. I have done this many times, the most difficult being a #5 allen set screw red loctited down in a novak sight. The entire operation took under 5 min.

I am with the others that suggest taking it to someone that does this for a living. The best outcome if you fail will be making more work (costing more) the worst is scraping the part altogether.

Page generated in 0.03276 seconds with 8 queries