View Single Post
Old October 6, 2009, 05:57 PM   #13
darkgael

Yep.

Quote:
About a month and a half has passed since taking it to the range. If I take it through airport security, will it still have chemical traces that will set off a monitor/ sniffer dog? How long do chemical traces, that are screened for, linger?

Does anyone have experience with this type of thing?
Yep. Happened to me. Don't use the bag.
I was at JFK for a flight. This was about six years ago. My wife was with me. I had my old range bag with me as a carry-on. It had been cleaned. It had been a long time since it had had ammo or fired cases in it.
At security, I put the thing into the scanner. I went through the metal detector. No problem. My bag was stopped and security personnel were looking it over. They looked for a while.
My wife had been ahead of me and was waiting on a bench a few yards away. I was watching the security folk, thinking to myself "what could be the problem? Did I leave a knife in there or something? Or something.
Afterwards my wife told me - this was when there were still lots of National Guard and other armed service personnel in the airports - "you didn't notice what happened after they stopped your bag. They must have called or something because three AR15 armed soldiers took up position right behind you."
I was unaware of that because a very official and serious fellow, not in a uniform, approached me and asked "Is that your bag?" "Yes, it is, I said." "Well," he said, "we found traces of RDX in your bag."
Fortunately, I knew what RDX was and that it is a Nitro based compound. So I knew that they were detecting traces of old powders still in the bag. I explained that it had been a range bag, that I reloaded my own ammo, yadda, yadda.
"You should use another bag" he said. And we went on our way.
Pete

Page generated in 0.03736 seconds with 8 queries