View Single Post
Old April 10, 2009, 08:36 AM   #1
CaptainCrossman

44 Colt conversion break-in

yesterday took the 1861 Colt conversion out, ran 99 rounds of Black Dawge BP ammo through it- and it ran like a dream !

the gun cycled 72 shots before the cylinder pin became fouled enough, to cause difficulty pulling hammer back. Took it apart, wiped off the pin and barrel, back together again and shot the other 27 rounds.

even my 10 year old kid said "a lot better than the Colt cap and ball"- he fired at least 5 cylinders full himself under my supervision- by comparison, the old 1851 Navy CB would jam on every cylinder, due to cap jams- and would not rotate cylinder easily after only one cylinder or so- due to fouling.

brought the brass home, cleaned it, and loaded up 25 rounds- load is full cases of BP FFF 29.5 grains (to top of brass case leveled off) w/125 grain round ball .430" seated on top, then crimped/ball packed in to compress load- ends up looking like a home made wadcutter round- fired one shot, they work well, kick less than the factory load, due to lighter round ball- I'm going to chronograph it to see how much velocity it picked up

100 round balls- $10

dies used- Midway 44 Russian, w/30-30 shellplate. I hear the 44 Mag/44 Special dies will also work.

see pics of reload compared to factory Black Dawge ammo (I saved one round for comparison)- reload on left, factory load on right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01092.jpg (117.8 KB, 44 views)

Page generated in 0.03696 seconds with 9 queries