View Single Post
Old June 18, 2008, 10:39 AM   #12
stephen426

Quote:
As the manager/owner, in most states you are allowed to carry openly at your place of business. That would be a real deterrent. Strap a 1911 or Glock or .357 on your belt and most crooks will think twice.
I wish I could, but it is a large, well known brand. They have a no gun policy. I did tell the DM that I would abide by it as long as they could ensure my safety (Yeah right! ) At least 7 restaurants (of the brand I opened) have been hit inthe past 6 months. Besides, the mommies and their kids might get scared if I had my big ol' 1911 or Ruger GP 100 strapped to my hip. I'm sure my employees would be much better behaved though! Besides, I like the element of suprise. If someone is intent on robbing the restaurant, they will shoot whoever is packing first.

Samurai, thanks for trying out the technique. I know you have extensive martial arts experience and you would have the best opportunity to execute the technique successfully. I may not have been clear on the scenario though.

Say the bad guy has the gun (in his right hand) leveled at your chest or mid section. You sweep from the gun with your right hand while simutaneously yoking him in the throat with your left hand (while stepping into it). I'm sure a palm strike to the nose could also be substituted for the strike to the throat. I'm not sure which would be more effective though.

While I agree that it is important to control the weapon, physical strength becomes an issue. The gun will go off (as you said) and will seriously impede your ability to hold on to it (especially if it is a semi-auto). Even the blast from the cylinder gap in a revolver may burn your hand. Once you let go, all bets are off. I seriously think that some strikes need to be delivered to the assailant that will limit his ability to fight back. We are not all martial arts experts and not all of us are not in the best of shape.

If the gun is pointed higher, it becomes more difficult to simulataneously sweep the gun and yoke the attacker since your arms are crossed up. In that case, the sweep should be performed while turning your body away from the line of fire. At this point, I would agree to try to use a 2 handed hold on the weapon and possibly issue a few elbows with your right arm.

Samurai, I completely agree that disarming techniques should be done in life or death situations only. The problem is that you never know. I fully understand that money can be replaced, but they shot the manager of a restaurant twice in the back and twice in the back of the head. We are dealing with animals here and I am not going to depend on their mercy (if given a chance). Like I said, you need to evaluate the stiuation to see is there is a good chance of disarming the bad guy. If your chances are bad, you sit tight until you are forced to act. If I am about to get herded into a walk-in cooler or freezer, I'm not going to wait to get executed.

Page generated in 0.02175 seconds with 8 queries