View Single Post
Old September 4, 2000, 02:44 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

RAE--
I, too, am partial to lead bullets for most of my handloading. One main reason is expense. Lead bullets by the 500 or 1000 are a lot less money than jacketed, or even Rainier plated. You can make a pretty good case for them being easier on barrels than jacketed, too, though I have never personally done a side-by-side comparison. I lack facilities and money and the inclination, when it comes right down to it.

I am always interested in a better way to do something, however, so,
petej88---
I've heard about West Coast Plated bullets before but never say any link for them. Do you have one, or a link for the place where you order them. If all else is equal, or even nearly so, I'd like to try them.

There is no question that shooting lead bullets is somewhat more dirty than shooting jacketed or plated bullets. you should have been around Dallas Indoor Pistol Range in late 70s and early 80s--I was casting my own .45 RNL bullets and lubricating them with the old Lyman black lube, and then loading them with Unique powder. There's just SOMETHING about that combination--
Soon thereafter, alox lube from RCBS became common, and things got better.

Too right about some indoor ranges not allowing lead bullet loads. I think that if I shot indoors more than a couple of times a year, I'd voluntarily go with plated, just to be nice.

I will research the West Coast bullets, soon as I can, but will continue to shoot lead for outdoor use for the foreseeable future. There are just some things I can do with lead bullets I can't with jacketed or cast. I also find it easier to shoot more accurately with lead loads, but I thought that was just me.

Best,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries