View Single Post
Old June 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #3
GWS

The biggest difference between pistol and rifle reloading is case prep. Pistol doesn't require a whole lot of case prep, but rifle needs a trimmer, as was mentioned. Also if you are collecting military brass you may need to ream or swage the primer pockets. It also makes a difference with rifle to do things like uniforming primer pockets, cleaning them, and even reaming flash holes.

Those things aren't required per-say but they do help with accuracy if you are looking for sub-MOA. All that stuff has to be done after you size but before you prime, charge and seat. That usually means two runs through your press....once to deprime and size....Then another run after prepping, to prime, charge, seat, and crimp if you want to.

If you ever compete in bench-rest. An arbor press is a popular tool along with other hand tools they use on the firing line, otherwise your progressive can make pretty impressive fodder as you learn the tricks. I do still use my single station a lot....to size and deprime or to reload calibers I haven't set up the progressive for yet. So far I'm loading .223, .308, & .243 on the progressive (along with 4 pistol cartridges.) ....Not done by a long shot.

Last edited by GWS; June 20, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.03093 seconds with 8 queries