View Single Post
Old April 9, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
reynolds357

Problem reloading once fired brass/Ruger American

I have 6 boxes for frontier .243 factory loaded ammunition. As best I can tell from the lot number, it was mfg. in 1973. I shot one box just for the brass. Shooting it in my Ruger American. I did not really examine the brass when firing because I was just breaking the rifle in and making reloadable brass. When I tried to re-prime the brass, the primers had absolutely no tension in the primer pocket. None whatsoever on any of the 20 pieces of brass. I was using WLR primers that I have loaded from that lot before, so I know there is no primer issue. I verified it with a Federal which had the slightest bit of pressure, but no where near what it should be. I went back to my press and looked at some of the primers that came out of the brass. They were flat. They were some of the flattest primers I have ever seen. I must admit that early 70's ammo is slightly older than I am, so I am no expert on it. Was ammo loaded at these high pressures in the early 70's? Has age increased the pressure of the ammo due to powder decomposition? Has anyone who has an American noticed abnormal pressure signs in brass fired from it?
My thoughts at the moment are to pull down the other 5 boxes, but trying to avoid that. Any thoughts?

Page generated in 0.02382 seconds with 8 queries