View Single Post
Old May 31, 2000, 12:05 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Ed-
The hunting pretty varied. It always began by truck. In certain cases, we'd see an animal or herd and the trackers would get out and move them in a general direction. The hunter would set up at a remote location and wait. Sometimes we'd get lucky. This was how I got the wildebeest, coming over a hill.

Others took animals from various blinds, but this was of less interest to me. Not that it's "easier", just that you don't get to watch the trackers and PH's work.

Often, we'd just walk with the trackers out in front looking for sign. This was how we came on both my impala, the duiker and, finally, the bushbuck. The trackers would track the animal to an area and the hunter and PH would go in. They all have an uncanny sense of where the animals will break from the scrub. I've not heard the term "spot and stalk", but this is, I think, what we did most of.

Finally, there were cases in which a shot presented from the truck and, depending upon the hunter's values, it would be taken from there. This I did without hesitation on the Kudu...it was a fairly long shot; and I would glady have done so on a bushbuck...they're just so elusive.

As for the trophies, they're all being mounted in S.A. and shipped here. Little game was taken that won't be mounted. The meat is sold or used at Engonyameni, after shares are given to the trackers.

Matt-
Lindy is, in fact, holding a Havana in this picture...Fonseca, I believe. It seems the week before I left, my entire family (Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister Nieces, nephews and significant others) came for a visit...ostensibly for Easter, but I think they were quietly splitting my gear in the event I didn't return. Now I love my family...however, their presence has the unfortunate effect of returning me to my tobacco habit.

By the time I reached Joburg, I was hooked. Anyway, the cigars became a source of amusement to the party, especially Colonel Cooper. Seems no one had ever thought of hunting with a lit cigar in hand. As it seemed the game didn't pay attention, and it helped us to monitor the wind, the cigars became a personal affect of mine, usually chewing on the cold butt. As a result, all game was taken with cigar remnant firmly clenched in teeth.

On particular occasions, I'd offer to share one. Thus, the other cigars in some of the pictures.
Rich

Page generated in 0.03637 seconds with 8 queries