View Single Post
Old July 18, 2013, 10:38 PM   #12
nemo2econ

UPDATE: I took the trip, here's my data

I did fly into, and a bit later, out of, Midway Airport. I had my firearm locked in a hard case from Life Jacket inside my soft-sided suitcase.

On arrival, I just picked up my suitcase from the baggage claim, transported via shuttle bus to the rental car center, got my rental car and immediately high-tailed it to the south end of Lake Michigan and on into Indiana and Michigan, leaving my firearm in the suitcase until I entered Indiana. No problems anywhere, and since both Indiana and Michigan have CWP reciprocity with my home state, I felt very comfortable once out of Illinois.

I was a bit more concerned about coming back into Illinois/Chicago/Midway and declaring a locked/cased firearm. But once again I had no problem other than the fact that the new-ish airline agent at the counter seemed unfamiliar with the process; she got help from another agent, I was soon on my way to the special TSA area for those declaring firearms. (that's a whole 'nuther story about "security theatre", but there was no problem getting it declared and checked through the TSA process.)

Overall, recommend allowing an additional ten minutes at check-in, at any airport, not just Midway. Cost no extra time at the baggage claim on landing, as expected.

Thanks everyone for offering your perspective and experiences!

Page generated in 0.02347 seconds with 8 queries