View Single Post
Old September 24, 2009, 06:16 AM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Farm raised pigs aren't pumped up with hormones, nor are they pumped up with antibiotics - regardless of what Wayne Pacelle and your vean friends at HSUS want to try to convince people of.
I agree that the hormones are not pumped in... However, there are hormones in the feed.
they only get pumped full of antibiotics if they get an infection.
They are, however, inoculated heavily to avoid the Trichinosis and brucellosis
among other cooties. The wild hogs can have these due to lack of inoculations.

Quote:
Also, store brought pork will have much less fat than on a boar. Its been bred out and is a very lean meat - hence "the other white meat." Wild pig has much more fat (which might give it flavor, might not).
100% wrong! I have raised hogs and hunted wild hogs... There is nothing farther from the fact than the above. I also have eaten my share of both wild and domestic swine. grease (molten fat) is obviously heavier, cut for cut, in domestic swine.
Quote:
One other HUGE difference. YOU HAVE TO OVERCOOK WILD PIG.
Pardon the pun but that is absolutely hogwash...
The best way to ruin wild pork is to cook it over the well done temp... Absolutely no bonafide reason to do so...
Quote:
Domestic pigs are raised indoors primarily as a disease protection measure. There is no trichniosis in the US herd. Wild pigs (and unfortuntly, the pasture pigs that the "foodies" are infliting on us) all care trichina as well as a host of other diseases.
Domestic hogs are raised indoors because hog tight fences cost more to build and maintain than a barn. The risk of indoor swine is one sick pig will infect the whole herd... BTDT!!!
There is no "tric" because of the aforementioned inoculations... The wild population will catch disease primarily from contact of infected untreated domestic swine...
Quote:
DO NOT FOLLOW USDA COOKING RECOMMENDATIONS FOR DOMESTIC PORK.

they do not apply to wild pig.
Actually they apply to all swine! Any and all parasites and other cooties are well killed off BEFORE the well done temp is reached...
Please refrain from spewing forth untruths regarding any meats. I have fully researched the health of wild swine before letting my dogs sink their teeth in it to catch it or the teeth of my children following a well done internal cooked temp of 160*f...
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; September 24, 2009 at 07:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.02730 seconds with 8 queries