View Single Post
Old May 16, 2012, 09:25 AM   #4
PawPaw

As I understand the history, the .30-30 was the first commercial smokeless cartridge. While Winchester called it the .30 Winchester Center Fire, Marlin and UMC did not want the Winchester name on their products and called it the .30-30.

I wouldn't think that it would be a very good black powder cartridge, but I've never experimented with that propellant in that cartridge.

On the other hand, the .45-70 was originally a black powder cartridge, but the cartridge was made differently in those days. The old-timers used balloon head brass which held more powder than our solid web design today. I doubt that you could put 70 grains of powder in a common piece of .45-70 brass today without using a drop tube. I know that I've settled on a smaller charge for my BP cartridges, more closely approximating the old carbine load that used 55 grains of BP. It's easier to load and shoots just fine in my Sharps. If I'm going to do extended shooting with that rifle, I'll carry a milk jug, about half full of water with a squirt of dishwashing liquid. As I fire the cartridges, I drop the brass in that jug. It helps keep my brass clean and loosens the fouling until I can get home.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.02250 seconds with 8 queries