View Single Post
Old November 7, 2000, 12:52 AM   #6
JerryM

Don't buy a second rate scope. You don't have to pay 650 for a Leupold. Get a fixed power not over 6x and maybe 4x depending on where you are. If you get a var get something no greater than 8x on the top end. You will find the lower powered variables more useful, cheaper and lighter. I have fixed 4x on most of my big game rifles, but do have a Leupold Vari X III, 21/2 to 8 on a .270. The only times I have felt the need for a power greater than 4x is when antelope hunting and being able to keep up with the buck in a herd. A small variable is nice and tht is the reason I got the Vari X III. It was the first var I found that was is as bright as a fixed power scope and about the size of a straight 6x. If money was tight I would get a Leupold, Burris or some similar quality scope in a fixed power, probably 4 power. High power scopes are not a substitute for binoculars. Again, I recommend that you buy a high quality scope. You will not be sorry and won't have scope trouble that might ruin a hunt for a good trophy. I have found this true in over 45 years of big gaame hunting around the US and Alaska. Jerry

Page generated in 0.02611 seconds with 8 queries