View Single Post
Old September 26, 2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Hummmmm - - -

arkie2 --

First - - We're all glad you weren't injured, and that your Ruger appears to have not suffered any damage.

I haven't used any Titegroup, so I checked on the Hodgdon's web site. Your charge weight is well under max for the 158 gr JHP in .357 cases. You might be getting a bit of leading with lead bullets, but there's no reason for such terrific pressures.

Please take no offense at this line of questioning, but is there any possibility you could have had a barrel obstruction? Had you been shooting prior to that particular shot, or was it the first one for that shooting session? Is there any way you might have stuck a bullet in the barrel with a prior squib load?

Also, leaving a cleaning patch or even a bore brush in the bore can do amazing things to the pressures.

You mention that the mechanics of your revolver are apparently in good shape. Have you cleaned the barrel and then carefully inspected the bore, to see if you might have ringed the barrel?

If this was the first shot, have you pulled several other bullets and weighed the powder charges? Strange things can happen . . . . Were these thrown charges or were you weighing them? Once upon a time, I was weighing .308 charges and carelessly set my scale wrong. I weighed out and loaded quite a few loads before I noticed the scale was WAY off. Happily, the charge weight was ten grains too LOW, but it could as easily have been ten grains too HIGH.

Just brain storming, here.

Also - - you haven't told us what loading gear you were using. Progressive, single stage, or turret? If single stage, you might consider placing our prepared cases mouth down in a loading block until you pick up one, charge it, and then immediately seat the bullet. This might provide you with an added margin of safety and give yourself added confidence in your qualty control.

This is about all the suggestions I can make. Best of luck to you.

Johnny

Page generated in 0.03560 seconds with 8 queries