View Single Post
Old August 3, 2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Tuzo

Raftman, you are correct in all respects. But recall that Rostopovich, etal, expressed their genius within the constraints of ideology. And all who defected, think Baryshnikov, blossomed in the west when free of ideological shackles. Russian manufactured goods and their poor quality are merely another aspect of that flawed ideology. Capitalism as practiced today in Russia is a near free-for-all whose big winners are those who first claimed the spoils of Russian industry doled out by Yeltsin after 1991.

Many miss the days of Stalin because his buildings were prettier than Krushchev's and many also miss the stability of the soviet system. Those who don't miss the old days don't even remember Yeltsin and relish the freedom to travel, cruise the internet, buy Head and Shoulders shampoo, and (almost) say whatever they wish.

I'll repeat what I said earlier: Russia is still in the grip, however relaxed, of corruption, bribery, etc. This is little different from the commie days when these non-virtues were commonly practiced. By the way, many of my Russian friends feared walking around Moscow as late as about 2002 when the crime rate began to settle down.

Page generated in 0.03355 seconds with 8 queries