View Single Post
Old May 16, 2000, 03:10 AM   #41
Glamdring

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.Rob:
If you know your pattern.. and know the ranges (like inside your house) there is a VERY good chance your target would get hit by the shot "en-mass" before it has a chance to spread. Even #9 will act like a slug if its within 10 feet. This is what makes shotguns so lethal. They make BIG holes, or a LOT of holes.
Dr.Rob
[/quote]

Have you pattern tested your SG with the #9 at 10 feet?

I have pattern tested No.4 2/75" mag buck and 9 pellet 00 tactical buck both by Federal out of my shotgun. At 5; 10; 15; 20; & 25 paces. I use paces because that is how I have measured the ranges inside my apartment.

In my apartment I have a very postive backstop if I keep my lines of fire where they are supposed to be since I have brick exterior walls.

I have found with my SG that I would not rely on No.4 buck past 5 paces or the Tactical OO past 10 paces if I am worried about over pentration or stray pellets. The patterns are effective enough past those ranges for at least another 5 paces to put someone down, but there will be a lot of buckshot going around the target even if I hit them dead center.

One or two steps can make a huge difference in a SG pattern.

I prefer to KNOW where my shots will hit when the trigger is pressed. I prefer slugs or carbines for most situations. And for people who won't pattern test their home defense load at various ranges, which covers a lot of people IMO, I think the 5.56 or M1 carbine or such is much better. Not to mention more comfortable to shoot.

YMMV

Page generated in 0.02262 seconds with 8 queries