View Single Post
Old July 3, 2001, 03:05 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Barn Dog,

For an existing finish, you might try just degeasing and going straight to the cold blueing application. There's a chance the streaks will still show through though. If that happens, try using steel wool as the applicator. You don't have to rub heavy, just spread it around with even pressure. You don't need much either.

Just like the insructions on the Birchwood Casey labels say, get the surface as smooth as you can with steel wool. I go down to 0000 if I'm trying to do shiny new area. In some cases I've even used a Dremel with a buffing wheel and some polishing rouge. Grease and oil free. I use alcohol solvent from Home Depot or Lowe's. $3 for a 1 liter metal can.

I use Oxpho Blue from Brownell's for the actual blueing. Great stuff. You can swab it on with a clean cloth and use Q-tips in those hard-to-reach areas. But I like the steel wool technique. Remember, 0000 or finer. Use it like a cloth, no heavy rubbing pressure, it's being blued also, as it is distributing the blueing solution.

Good luck.

Page generated in 0.03515 seconds with 8 queries