View Single Post
Old June 11, 2013, 09:07 AM   #1
.50cal packer

Hot oil bluing. Need some advice please.

I have a rifle project that I'm working on and need all the advice I can get. I've done some research on hot oil bluing, but there seems to be gaps in all the things I've read. First- I know that with any bluing, the pieces need to be brought down to complete bare metal, with 0 oil or contaminants present. I've seen this done, cheaply, with hot white vinegar. But I also know that when doing an action and barrel together, you don't want the vinegar to get into the barrel. How do I prevent that, or is there another way of getting the bluing off in an easier fashion? I'm doing an entire gun, so all hardware will be included in this process and the vinegar is cheaper by the gallon by comparison to ounces of bluing and rust remover. Second- I'm aware of heating the metal up to the point of changing it's color, but not bright red to the point of weakening the metal. Third- I slowly drop the pieces into the oil and let sit overnight or as long as I'd like to get the desired color. The problem is, they never mention what type of oil is best suited for the procedure. I'm aware it is motor oil, but is it used or is it new. Is it regular, durablend or synthetic; and what is the weight of the oil used? I've heard of using stump remover to do this as well, but I feel that it would be impossible for me to keep every bit of moisture out. So that method is out of the question. I know about Oxpho-blue, dura-kote and even looked into wonder blue. I haven't heard of any completely happy bluing stories with these and ultimately, they end up rusting quickly. So I'd like to try this. Please help. Any and all advice is welcome, and if you respond please be as specific as possible.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...

Page generated in 0.02600 seconds with 8 queries