View Single Post
Old March 20, 2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Sigma 40 Blaster

What I do goes against most of the advice I've seen posted here and in books about sight alignment and the process of shooting. So take it for what it's worth, one guy's experience

For normal precision shooting (trying to hit the X ring) I focus on aligning the sights with my focus on the front sight and the target blurry. This is a pretty slow deliberate process with me. I rarely go for precise shots, I'm not into Bullseye shooting very much.

For double taps and Mozambiques (this is for defensive shooting on an IDPA target) a huge degree of accuracy is not necessary. You have a 8 inch circle for the body shots and a 4 inch square for the head (I think that's right...). I focus on the target, where I want my shots to go, and align the sights up while staying focused on the target. I find my sight picture is not crystal clear but alignment is easier and faster, albeit not as precise.

I squeeze the first shot without moving my focus, the gun goes up, I take up the SLACK in the trigger (not prepping it, just taking up the loose play). When the sights come back down, if I did my job, they are still aligned on the spot I want to hit. I squeeze as soon as I see the sights in alignment. Move my eyes up to the head area, take up the slack in the trigger again on the way up and as soon as my sights come into my vision I align and squeeze again.

The key for me is to not anticipate recoil or the perfect moment for sight alignment, when you start anticipating you are likely to flinch or jerk the trigger. I started doing this VERY slowly and deliberately, if I maintain a good grip on the gun and my trigger discipline is good I will hit all three shots most of the time.

Page generated in 0.03586 seconds with 8 queries