View Single Post
Old June 3, 2007, 03:55 PM   #1
sholling

Shooting Report the 2007 Shooting Sports fair

I had a great day yesterday at Mike Raahauge’s Shooting Sports Fair in Corona California. For those not familiar with this annual event it’s a chance to meet with the most popular firearm manufacturers and try out their products on the range for just the cost of the ammunition. Represented were Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Remington, Browning, Beretta, Benelli, Springfield, Marlin, Glock, Mossberg, Savage, Sigarms, HK, and others. Still missing was Kahr. Strange because Turner’s (the major sponsor) is a stocking Kahr dealer.

They also scheduled some shooting exhibitions by Rob Leatham, Todd Jarrett, and Benelli's Tim Bradly, but I didn’t have time to attend them. Also available for those that can afford to feed them are Gatling guns. It’s amazingly easy to blow a $20 in about 20 seconds.
http://www.turners.com/engage/events...sfair2007.html

Usually I go for nothing more than the shear joy of trying out the latest and greatest new weapons. However this event really does have a major effect on my gun buying decisions. There is simply nothing better than getting hands on before reaching for the wallet. This year I went with the idea of selecting a 22 target pistol. It’s simply become too expensive to feed the 45s as often as I’d like. A trip to the Beretta booth and I was impressed enough with the Beretta U22 Neos that I made the purchase of a 6” in stainless.

Naturally I made the rounds of the other booths and fired a little of this and a little of that. But at heart I’m a 1911 man so the highlights for me were a trip to the Wilson Combat booth (sweet) and the chance to try out two of Sig’s 1911s. I have to admit that I was very favorably impressed by the Sigs. These are some seriously fine 1911s although I found the trigger about a pound heavier than my liking. I already have a very nicely tuned mid-1980s Springfield 1911A1 and a stainless early production Kimber Ultra Carry in my safe. But if I could justify buying another 1911 I think that it would have to be the Sig.

For you Sig fans, yes I fired the P220 in 45ACP and yes I liked it a whole lot. It was a truly fine shooter. If I were a police officer in need of a duty firearm it would surely be near the top of my list. But I’m not a LEO and 1911s just fit me better, and what a sweet 1911s those Sigs were.

Well made I’ll pick one up after next year’s fair.

Last edited by sholling; June 4, 2007 at 04:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.03873 seconds with 8 queries