View Single Post
Old June 29, 2013, 07:30 PM   #12
drcook

There were some engineering changes that they inherited that could have caused some issues on the 37. The biggest one is the roll crimp in the magazine tube. I have machined up .015 thick inserts to be able to adapt one to a 1970 vintage receiver for a 16ga gun I built my wife.

According to Walt Snyder, that design change caused the problems when Ithacas were dumping shells on the ground, double feeding etc.

It all goes back to the original John Browning design. The parts and design were very carefully thought out. Any changes to make them easier to manufacture can have its consequences.

The right and left side shell stops are critical in the functioning of an Ithaca 37 and if those 2 parts are not adjusted quite right, even the most meticulously machined gun won't feed and function.

It is pretty amazing where they are at since the company was purchased in 2007.

There are not many other folks trying to do what the current owner is trying to do. Most others are in a race to the bottom esthetic wise.

Every gun company has their trials and tribulations. It is how they address the issues that counts not whether there are production issues in a company's start up mode.

The current iteration of the Ithaca Gun Co has only been in existence since 2007. It was bought and brought here to Ohio in 2005 and the current owner bought it in 07 and basically started building a gun company from the ground up.

Sometimes it is best to just grab a gun and send it. If every gun company fine tunes and makes sure that every gun that they send to gun writers was perfect, there would no chance for a problem to be caught, criticized and corrected.

When all that gun writers receive are perfect examples, how could they be believable if they wrote glowing praise and problems were hitting the field on guns they recommended ?

Last edited by drcook; June 29, 2013 at 07:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.02869 seconds with 8 queries