View Single Post
Old June 21, 2013, 02:10 PM   #32
TheGunGuy

Re: Leather Holster Bleeding, Bad Smell, Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfrontier45 View Post
No, I just prefer to have ALL the facts before passing judgement.

Overheating the leather and cooking off existing finishes would cause an odor.

Leather needs a light application of oil or a conditioner every now and then to restore lost moisture. Moisture is lost through the process of making a holster, through casing the leather for forming and/or tooling and dying with spirit-based dyes. It should be treated with oil or a conditioner like saddle soap or Lexol before it is finished and then periodically through its lifetime. It's the over-use of oil that causes a problem. Over-oiling causes the cells in the leather to burst and breaks down its integrity. At which point there is no saving it. Or at least that's what I've learned through making my own leather goods and taking lessons from a professional in the business for 50yrs.
Saddle Soap is the worst thing to use on leather. I own and operate a high end auto detail shop and see all kinds of leather surfaces... Most cars that have "leather" upholstery is just cheap leather that is coated with a vinyl like coating. So you see the grain and pattern of the leather... Now, in high end cars such a Bentley, Rolls and a few Jaguars I service, they have full aniline leather... It's dyed, but not coated. The best products for full aniline leather is Leather Masters, Leatherique or Connolly.

Conditioners on coated leather are useless. Now... I am not a holster maker... But are custom leather holsters made from non-aniline or full aniline leather...?

Page generated in 0.03154 seconds with 8 queries