View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come and take it.
...I thought it was legal to ship the firearm without intent to transfer, so long as it is made inert by shipping the gun without the bolt if its a rifle, without a cylinder if its a revolver or without the slide if its a pistol. and the remaining peice shipped seperately. ...
Don't know why you would think that.

[1] Shipping the gun is a transfer. Transfer means a change of possession, not just ownership. Note that the federal statutes refer to --
  • Transporting or receiving any firearm obtained outside one's State of residence (18 USC 922(a)(3)). So that's not limited to changes of ownership.

• And transferring, selling, trading, giving, transporting, or delivering any firearm to someone you know or have reasonable cause to believe does not reside in the State in which you reside (18 USC 922(a)(5)). So that's not limited to changes of ownership.
[2] Under federal law, the frame/receiver alone is legally the firearm. Even a stripped frame must be treated the same as an assembled, functional gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come and take it.
...At least that is how most firearm companies ask you to ship your firearm to them for repairs. and how they send it back to you.
Over the years I've shipped a lot of guns to gunsmiths for work. Not one has ever asked it to be shipped that way, nor returned it to me that way.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.03850 seconds with 8 queries