View Single Post
Old February 3, 2009, 01:52 AM   #10
cjw3cma

Quote:
What kind of barrel do you think it is?
Well, that's a good question. Like so many the only markings on it are .45acp. I do know that it was a new barrel - as the gun was a project build for a student in a 1911 gunsmithing class (the gun and he got a B+ from the instructor. I asked the instructor why a B+ and he said the final fit of this gun was a bit loose for his liking so the instructor tighten up the slide to frame fit and set the trigger pull to 4-1/2 lbs. before he allowed the gun to be sold. I think that the student messed up on the barrel as it was polished up to look good and probably got too heavy against the wheel - as the high spots were .0005" to .00125".

Anyway, tonight I got into town and picked up a sheet of each: 320 / 600 / 1000 grit wet / dry paper and after dinner proceeded to get rid of the high spots with the help of some REM-OIL on the paper. Once I got the barrel evened out I polished it up and then did the final bushing fitting. It is extremely smooth with probably just the amount of clearance to allow the slide to cycle completely and smoothly.

Have to wait until the weekend to shoot. Thanks for the comments (Hunter11 - I did as you suggested).

Page generated in 0.03774 seconds with 8 queries