View Single Post
Old February 24, 2005, 01:10 PM   #5
VonFatman

Dgremlin,
I've read that some who like to load "upper-end" .44 Mag ammo prefer jacketed bullets since many believe plated bullets won't handle the "heat" of a fast load and may come apart during firing.
Please note, I do not have first-hand experience and that is why I am not speaking with authority.
I also read that others use plated for all their loads...judging by the number of folks using jacketed bullets in "warm" loads, I'd venture a guess and say it's probably more universal to use jacketed bullets in "warmer"/hot loads.

Some also report that Rainier bullets are not accurate enough for them. Many report they prefer the accuracy of lead/cast bullets. Me? I've used them (Rainiers) in my .45's and .44's and have never seen a problem. I also prefer the cleaner shooting with plated or jacketed bullets.

I have also been using 240gr. Rainier HP's for my .44 Mag. loads. But I did just buy 1,000 Mag-Tech 240gr. SJHPs (semi-jacketed hollow points) to use as I warm up the mix a bit.

The folks at Rose do have .44 Rainier bullets...the ones you mentioned. Check out their website to see if there's a "flavor" you would like to try.

Yes, the 230gr RN I mention above are .45 ACP bullets.

Good luck reloading...I'm a newbie too and always enjoy reading about loads and experiences. I hope to read about your reloading experiences.

Bob

Page generated in 0.03394 seconds with 8 queries