View Single Post
Old August 28, 2001, 05:12 PM   #9
Fraser

Hollow point mythology

Noted Texas pathologist Vincent DiMaio MD in his seminal work "GUNSHOT WOUNDS" points out some of the mythology surrounding hollowpoint bullets. Dr. DiMaio has performed tens of thousands of autopsies and learned forensics at his father's side. His father was the chief pathologist for NYC for many years. I daresay Dr. DiMaio has more experience doing autopsies than Marshall and Sanow.

"Hollowpoint bullets, in comparison to traditional solid lead bullets, THEORETICALLY have a greater ability to kill by virtue of greater physiologic injury to an organ, such differences are probably only THEORETICAL.

"Hollowpoint bullets do not mutilate organs or destroy them any more than their solid-nose, all-lead counterparts. The wounds in the skin as well as those in the internal organs are the same in appearance for both types of ammunition. One cannot examine the wounds in a body and say that the individual was shot with a hollowpoint rather than a solid lead bullet. No organs are reduced to 'chop-meat' by a pistol bullet.

"Hollowpoint bullets, though generally lighter than solid lead bullets, are loaded to considerably higher velocities. Hollowpoint bullets are more effective because of their higher velocities. Non-expanding hollowpoint bullets are effective due to their increased velocity.

"People inexperienced with hollowpoint ammunition do not let this inexperience stand in the way of their offering 'expert' testimony on the topic."

See GUNSHOT WOUNDS, pp. 310-311.

That said, I load my 1911's with FMJ ammo.

Page generated in 0.02375 seconds with 8 queries