View Single Post
Old August 2, 2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Uncle Malice

I sent off a letter to the ATF for clarification so I can have written documentation that it is indeed a legal modification just in case I ever get questioned by law enforcement.

Quote:
who says in a few months they won't change their minds and make it illegal without the proper paperwork and such?
Can they just make arbitrary changes like that without grandfathering in those that are already made legally? Even if they do... all I would need to do is throw the orifinal front end back on it... Not a big deal and doesn't take long to change.

Quote:
And legal or not, does the local police know its legal? Even if they do know it's legal, expect to be hassled if you're ever seen with it. I know that a few cops here would take it from you and you'd probably go to jail. I wouldn't chance it, not worth going to jail for a night, possibly longer if convicted, just to have a 14 inch barreled Mossburg. I'm sure they'd find something illegal with the situation.
Possibly, but that's why I want the document from the ATF. I don't expect to be hasselled here in AZ. We're a pretty gun friendly state with..mostly... knowledgable police officers when it comes to firearms. With that said... this is why I will be keeping a copy of the ATF document with the gun.

I think it will be a fun project, and if I end up not liking it, I can always put the factory parts back on again since it's not being registered as an NFA weapon. I'll update back if/when I get a response from the ATF on this issue. I won't do the modifications until I have written clarification.

Page generated in 0.03447 seconds with 8 queries