View Single Post
Old July 4, 2011, 10:55 AM   #55
Ozzieman

I thank the OP for sharing this and the shooter for being man enough to place the blame where the blame is due.
The real blame goes to placing his trigger finger on the trigger before the gun was clear of his body and on the target. You can see his finger go into the trigger guard before the gun has cleared the holster.
He's lucky he still has a leg.
I will also give him credit for the safe way he handled the gun after the accidental discharge he did not fire the gun a second time and kept the gun pointed in a safe manner and set it down. How many of us could do the same.
I have done this same exercise many times over the years but first do it with an empty gun 20 or 30 times and I keep it slow. The reason I stopped doing it was for the same reason. I shot myself.
Not like he did but I had one come back off of the back stop and hit me in the stomach. It didn’t puncture the skin but hurt like heck and burnt the skin. Had I been hit in the eye it probably would have been another outcome.
Talking to experienced people that go into harm’s way it’s not speed that wins. Its training what you shoot the way you carry and make sure the first round count. If you look at most shootings the innocent party does not get the first shot off in many cases. I don’t know the percentage. But quick draw is for the old western movies and Jerry Miculek.

Page generated in 0.03840 seconds with 8 queries