Thread: Few questions
View Single Post
Old February 26, 2013, 11:57 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
1. Recoil scares me.. tips to get over this
Focus on the sights rather than on the target. Most people tend to focus on the target which means that between them and what they're paying attention to, is an object which makes an extremely loud noise, moves around fairly violently, and creates flashes of light and emits smoke.

That is guaranteed to cause involuntary reactions. Imagine trying to read with someone waving their hand around between your face and the book.

Now, imagine that you are trying to see something on the hand, and the book is simply in the background. Nothing has changed except your focus. But now, since you are paying attention to the moving object, it has ceased to be an annoyance and is actually something that interests you.

In a similar way, if you focus on the sights, and concentrate on watching them while you operate the trigger--even on trying to watch them as the gun fires and comes back down on target--recoil is far less of an annoyance.

Dryfiring (practicing shooting with an empty gun--make sure your particular gun is suitable for dryfire--some guns can be damaged by dryfiring) is a good way to train yourself to operate the gun and watch the sights without recoil and muzzle blast intruding. Rimfires, which have much lower recoil, are another good way to train yourself to deal constructively with recoil.

Finally, don't ask too much of yourself. Small guns--especially in relatively large calibers--tend to recoil a lot more than larger, heavier guns. A sub-compact gun in a typically recommended self-defense caliber is probably not the best choice for a new shooter.
Quote:
2. If I move up to a 380 does the grain amount make a difference?
Less than in some calibers. The .380ACP, as loaded by "respectable" ammunition companies has a relatively narrow performance range--and therefore recoil is pretty similar regardless of the specific bullet weight you choose.

By the way, the "grain amount" refers to the weight of the bullet. Grains are an archaic measure of weight used very little except in the world of firearms. 7000 grains make up a pound, there are 437.5 grains in a single ounce.
Quote:
3. Which has more recoil a revolver or pistol?
All else being equal (and it rarely ever is), a revolver will recoil more than a semi-automatic pistol. That means that if you shoot a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol, each weighing the same amount and firing cartridges with identical momentum levels, the revolver will generally feel like it recoils more.

The operation of the semi-auto tends to spread the recoil impulse out a little bit, and that makes it feel less sharp.

A revolver essentially transfers all of the recoil directly to ths shooter in one "package" which can make it less comfortable.

That said, there are LOTS of variables that affect recoil and how a shooter perceives recoil. A heavier gun will reduce the recoil, all else being equal. A grip that fits the shooter well will make recoil more tolerable. A barrel that is relatively high above the shooter's hand will tend to increase felt recoil.
Quote:
4. I really want to shoot targets like bottles filled with colored water, cantaloupes.. can I use a handgun or do I need to move on to a shotgun?
Reactive targets are a lot of fun. Make sure your range allows you to use this type of target and be sure to be safe.

Targets should be placed as close to the berm/backstop as possible to prevent ricochets off the ground from possibly travelling over the berm.

Also, you'll want to pre-plan to clean up when you're done. I recommend that you choose targets that are biodegradeable (at least the parts you won't be able to pick up when you're done) and ones that are not sticky. For example, shooting unopened cans of soda can be fun--but diet/sugar-free soda is a lot more fun when cleanup time comes. No sugar means that the trash you pick up at the end of the shooting session won't be sticky.

Page generated in 0.03764 seconds with 8 queries