View Single Post
Old July 23, 2014, 08:46 AM   #6
Wyosmith

Funny though it may be, I agree with Hawg.
The Lyman G.P. is probably the best factory made traditional muzzleloading rifle you can get.
No it's not as refined as a hand made Hawken. But the parts alone for a custom rifle will cost about $140 MORE than the whole rifle from Lyman. And their quality of barrels and locks is excellent.
For someone that is a purest it can be noted that the lines are very close to being right, but the way the Lymans are made and the details of historic design are not the same as a real St Louis Hawken, but the performance is as good as any, and better than most others.

My Hawkens start at $1300. They have $680 worth of parts in them before I even pick up a chisel. It takes me 20 to 24 to build one. Charging $200 a week is not unreasonable I don't think.

For those that want an exact copy of the real J&S Hawken they are obviously worth the price (to them or I would not still be making them) But if you want a super good rifle that has traditional lines and are not really interested in total historical accuracy, the Great Planes is never going to disappoint you.

Page generated in 0.03549 seconds with 8 queries