View Single Post
Old May 30, 2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Sevens

I would seriously take issue with the idea that you just can't handload on your own now, at least until I've heard specifics more detailed than what you've offered. I say this not at all to be adversarial, I'm simply using my own experience to counter the idea.

I taught myself to handload with a Speer book and the absolute shoe string budget of a 17-year old without the help of anyone and definitely without much assistance from the guys at the gun shop who didn't take a "kid" seriously when he bought components from them. And less than 2 years after I started all on my own, I moved my extremely small collection of necessary tools to my one single bedroom in me & six buddies' rented college party house where we played more cards and drank more beer, threw more parties and blasted more music then, well, ANYTHING else. That was more than 20 years ago.

Bottom line was that I reloaded .38, .45 and 10mm Auto on a plank of wood on the corner of my hand-cobbled waterbed frame before I -EVER- moved my handloading bench out of state where I went to school. Though I had a lot less experience under my belt and no internet to pick brains and seek help, I made ammo back then to similar standards that I make it today... which is to say, terrific.

Unless there is some condition or scenario that I'm missing or is completely random and uncommon, it would be a bit difficult for you to successfully convince me that you couldn't give it a go yourself.

One of my local buddies moved half a country away to take on a new job and he lived in a motel for the first few months before getting a place and moving his family and life there also. This guy is in his 50's and he was loading .38s and .45s on the dresser in his motel. I knew exactly how that felt. He simply picked some of the simplest of his needed tools and he made ammo in his motel room, because like me...that's what he enjoys doing.

Handloaders just -LOVE- to try and drop jaws of those who buy factory ammo by dropping nearly unbelievably low dollar-number on what THEIR box of ammo cost them to produce, and I don't feel the need to do that. Fact is, those guys and their low numbers aren't telling you about how much they have invested in their equipment and the fact that getting THAT number so low only comes when you are willing to buy bullets many thousands at a time, and primers the same way. We spend a -LOT- of money to get that "per box" number so low... but my point here is simply to say that .38 Special and .357 Magnum are a couple of places where you can really, REALLY make an obscene victory over the price of factory ammo. 9mm, .40 S&W, not nearly as much. .38 & .357 ammo is really expensive, so it's one heckuva great place to start if you have the desire to make your own.

Really -- we can help.

Page generated in 0.03889 seconds with 8 queries