View Single Post
Old March 11, 2009, 03:39 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Employers like Wal-Mart constantly block official votes and threaten employees with store closing and termination if they vote for union representation
How is a public vote going to alleviate that? They can still beat rabble rousers before the vote. They can beat quiet people who voted for it after the vote also. Do you think corporations will not have spies in union meetings? They always have in the past.

Who says that workers can't choose to walk out over unfair employment practices en mass? Why would they need a formal union to do that?
Who says a union can't pony up a few lawyers and toughs while they are organizing?
Nobody.
This is about getting people who know they are making good money in competitive and stable firms into unions when they do not want to be.
There are lots of American workers who have realized UAW jobs are going to be gone in the not to distant future. Look how many have already gone over seas.

When unions were small one factory deals they gave the workers enough leverage to get decent treatment and kept leadership in touch with the workers. Now union leaders never talk to actual union members, the things some union workers get is absolutely ridiculous. Union leaders for all their whining about CEO pay make huge amounts of money and get huge bonuses just like the CEOs they rail on.
The limitations on one worker helping out another are absolutely absurd. Honda and Toyota will tell you the flexibility they have with their workers is where they really save big bucks over US companies. Look at how they kept all their employees working recently by offering maintenance jobs. If they had unions it would have been required they hire a painters union and such.

What about the group of volunteers that tried to paint over graffiti at schools and were blocked by the painters union? Graffiti still there.

Unions are out of control.

Are you really going to tell me the guy who pulls a lever for eight hours should be paid five times or more than the guy who flips a burger? I have pulled levers, and I have flipped burgers over a grill. The latter was harder less comfortable work, took more skill, and generally sucked a whole lot more.

Maybe I am looking at this wrong and we just need $10 McDonalds cheeseburgers.

I sent my Congressmen letters about this when it first came up.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 11, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.03766 seconds with 8 queries